Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Not to shaby


Uh huh, that's right. I'm up to 2 pounds. Well, what can I say except the last couple of weeks have been rough. Didn't eat all that well and work has been keeping me pretty busy so I missed a lot of workouts. I took that picture on Saturday morning but haven't wanted to share it. Time to be honest though. You have set backs, It's a part of life but I'm still on track. I'm watching what I'm eating and I've been back in the gym working harder on the weights and as far as my running is concerned I'm running farther. I'm consistently hitting 5 miles in less than an hour. It used to take me an hour to run 4.

So, that said I feel great and yea, I'm not afraid to think I look a heck of a lot better than I used to and feel better as well.




When it's cold I love hot stuff like chili, soup, etc...You know - Comfort food. So what does a guy do when he likes comfort food and he's trying to be healthy. Here are some options I found on Runners world Magazine.

comfort-food-gets-healthy-makeover

Chili
Make a chili with 95% lean ground meat, or a mix of lean ground meat and ground turkey breast. Add some beans, canned tomatoes and spices for flavor.

Soups and stews
Stew meat is extremely lean. Add veggies (fresh, frozen or canned) for a comforting meal that tastes great. When making chicken noodle soup, think more broth and veggies and less noodles. Try using a whole grain—like barley—instead of noodles for a nice chew.

Hot cereal
This is one of my personal favorites. Instead of buying the presweetened varieties, buy plain oatmeal and add a protein source (skim milk, soy milk, hemp milk, almond milk or protein powder), a sweetener (preserves, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar), fruit (fresh, frozen or dried) and spice (ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, even a dash of cayenne).

Mac and cheese
Play with a mac and cheese recipe too much and you may get a very unsatisfactory dish, but you can swap a few ingredients for a lower calorie treat. Try using evaporated skimmed milk instead of whole milk or cream. You can also use less cheese if you use a variety with a stronger flavor like Gruyere or Fontina.

Chicken pot pie
Mark Bittman offers a great recipe for this true comfort food, which is typically full of fat in other recipes. Click on the link above to see the full article and a link to this recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment