Friday, September 13, 2013

Cancer prevention: 7 tips to reduce your risk

DAY 44
Dog walk
Gym - 1 hour


Ok, I missed a few day's. As usual nothing new - I've been busy with work. Whew! Catching my breath. The good news is that I've been able to continue my workout routine and it's been consistent despite the hectic week. Two days this week I even went to the gym right after work. I also got an Ipod Shuffle for my birthday which I'm loving for the workouts and runs. Something about listening to "Metal" that gets my blood pumping and adrenaline flowing like the James River after a massive rain. Oh yea.

I've mention before that cancer runs rampant through both side of my family. I signed up for the Mayo Clinics E-mail articles and the one that came in today was about Cancer "Prevention". 7 tips for reducing your risk that I thought I would share. It's been well accepted that your chances of developing cancer are affected by the lifestyle choices you make. So, making some basic (and relatively simple) lifestyle changes can make a difference in reducing your chances of getting cancer.

Read the full article here:
  1. Don't us tobacco
  2. Eat a healthy diet (veggies, fruit, alcohol in moderation)
  3. Maintain a healthy weight and be physically active
  4. For Beach bums and bunnies - Protect yourself from the sun
  5. Get immunized
  6. Avoid risky behaviors (Do I have to be detailed here? Read the article for the details)
  7. Get regular medical care (cough, cough)



Thought for the day:  A little concerned. I definitely was off the grid last weekend and on Monday for my birthday lunches and dinner. I've been on plan all week though and haven't missed a workout so I'm anxious but hopeful that I'll come in at 160 or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment