Monday, September 2, 2013

"...all you who labor"

DAY 33
  • Labor Day - Ahhh to celebrate labor by not laboring; what an idea.
  • Walked Sasha
  • 30 min. in the gym - Cardio

I slept 'till 9am...that never happens. Even when I'm tired and I "sleep in" I can only make it to 7am. My body clock is pretty much stuck at 6am. So, that said, I got up late, had breakfast late, enjoyed my facebook updates over a few cups of coffee which meant I had to give Sasha her walk in the heat. So we came back and I hosed her down to cool off.

Yesterday was supposed to be my "Day of Rest" but GA and I helped some friends move into their amazing new house in Appomattox Trace. Lots of lifting very heavy objects and while I did not throw my back out it hurts a little and I'm sore. So, while it wasn't a "gym" workout it was a workout so today I only engaged in 30 minute cardio workout on the elliptical machine.

Appomattox Trace is located at the intersection of Genito and Rocky Ford Road in Powhatan, VA 23139 - See more at: http://www.appomattoxtrace.com

 
 My original goal was 10 pounds by my 43rd birthday which is next Monday. I think I miscalculated my poundage per week when I set that goal (no really, I did). It's looking like I'm not going to hit the goal by Saturday. I'm at 162 now so I'd like to hit 160 (or less) by next Saturday. A lot of stuff is going on this week. Both of my girls are starting school this week, I have my own dentist appt. this week for once and just a myriad of other stuff happening as well which is going to take a lot of focus. Something I'm also concerned about is muscle memory. When you've been working out for awhile and you get into that groove and it's working you don't really think about changing. It's necessary to shake it up though. Obviously your muscles do not have tiny, microscopic brains. That would be an episode of Fringe or X-Files if they did. The reality is that repeating a movement hundreds of times in a row creates muscle fatigue. Changing up my workout will help stop and/or prevent the effects of repetition and help me get better results. I need to start thinking about "confusing" the muscle.
 
 
Appomattox Trace, Powhatan, VA
 
Quote for the Day: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28


4 comments:

  1. Gordon, definitely need to change things up especially when you are working out on machines that are in a "fixed plane" - elliptical, weight machines, etc. They don't allow for dynamic movements outside of the set patterns which can lead to boredom, injury, and stalled progress. Try this website - it generates workouts for you based on what type of workout you want to do. Different workout every time and you don't have to come up with it...and if you don't have lots of equipment at home you can click on "bodyweight". Let me know what you think.

    http://www.wodshop.org/wods.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely check that out!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout out to Appomattox Trace! http://www.philscottrealestate.com/index.php?action=searchresults&pclass[]=3

    ReplyDelete