Friday, September 6, 2013

Happy Feet

DAY 37
40 minute dog walk
30 minutes in the gym

Crazy day at work today. Lots of conference calls, blah, blah, blah. I had to cut my gym time short today. This past week during my runs and my gym time I noticed that my ankles have started hurting and my feet hurt. I believe it's time to purchase new running shoes. It's always such a chore to find good shoes that really fit your feet well, but if you find the right shoe, you can likely avoid plantar fasciitis, shin splints and other issues. It's almost like buying a house or a car. You're going to spend a ton of time in them, so why wouldn't you make sure you're purchasing the right shoe for your feet?

Here are a couple of sites I found that help with the process:

Evidently there are 3 foot types: flat, neutral and high arches.
  1. Flat feet tend to have fallen arches, making them flexible and prone to over-pronation, an inward rolling motion.
  2. Neutral feet are the most biomechanically sound variety, putting them somewhere in the middle.
  3. High-arched feet are essentially the polar opposite of flat feet.
You basically want some space for your feet to breathe with at least half an inch in the space between your toes and the tip of the shoe. They should move around a little bit but be snug enough not to fall off. No slippage! Once you've found the right category for your shoe size it's about finding the shoe that's most comfortable.

Good shoes mean happy feet.


Thought for the day: Weigh in is tomorrow. I'm a little anxious...

No comments:

Post a Comment