Thursday, September 5, 2013

FAT TIRE ?

DAY 36
Dog walk - 35 minutes
4 Mile run - Had to do some walking. A little hotter than I expected

Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight Returns said "Why so serious?" Well, with regards to weight loss and losing that belly - belly fat is nothing to "joke" about. Why do we not take it more seriously? A recent article on the Mayo Clinic website (which I have recently started paying attention to) indicated that regardless of your overall weight, having a large amount of belly fat increases your risk of the following:
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Colorectal cancer (uhhh, gross) & Sleep apnea
Belly fat or what we call "dunlap disease" or the "tire" right above your waist is not limited to the extra layer of pudge located just below the skin. It also includes what is called visceral fat — which lies way down inside your belly and surrounds your internal organs. NOT good. The article goes on to say that not only does the basic idea of calories in and calories out play a factor, but guess what: "age" plays a role as well. "As you age, you lose muscle — especially if you're not physically active. Loss of muscle mass decreases the rate at which your body uses calories, which can make it more challenging to maintain a healthy weight." Also, a man's belly is basically the center of the universe. Some of us guys store fat cells in the arms and legs and when we lose the ability to store that fat, it  causes any excess fat to go straight to you know where - the abdomen.

Here's the website:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/belly-fat

It is challenging to say the least to lose the belly. Since I've started this diet I've lost 6+ pounds but I still have what I call a "bike" tire around my waist and a clear area where my pants and belt line go...where my belly hangs over. Uggg, I hate it. I think it's gross and I really want to get rid of it. I've lost weight all over but the belly is proving tough. The problem it seems is over eating (working on that), age and genetics along with not exercising regularly. You can put the weight on over-night but it takes months to get rid of it. So, it just comes down to plain hard work. I gotta keep kicking it in gear and stick with this.

MensFitness - How-lose-belly-fat-fast
Look like this
 
Not like this
 
 
Well, I think most men would admit that it would be great if we had abs of steel like the first picture versus the other. However, since we're not training for a spot in the new 300 sequel or taking over duty as the new Wolverine, I think it's safe to say that we need to be at least working hard to get rid of as much belly fat as we can...for our health and for some long-haul living. Join me.
 
Check this out! I just stumbled onto this Food Pyramid that Mayo Clinic put together online. Pretty cool...You can set it for weight loss or for maintaining weight....Mayo Clinic - Healthy Weight Food Pyramid
 
4 Mile run today - Weather was a little deceiving today and was a little hotter than I expected.
 

Thought / Quote for the Day: In speaking of his hockey sticks: "...I think it's essentially a matter of taking care of what takes care of you." Wayne Gretsky. Take care of yourself. Believe me I know how absolutely delicious a big bowl of Mac & Cheese is and how awesome it is to dine on large amounts of food and drink. The body though gets us from one end of our life to the other.
We (I) need to take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment