Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Coffee The Breakfast of Champions....Maybe?

DAY 48
  • Dog Walk 45 minutes
  • 4 Mile sloppy run

The run today was terrible. I haven't exercised since Saturday and when I miss workouts I can definitely tell. Not only do I get crabby but it's tougher to get "back into it". My legs were killing me during the run, felt like I had rubber bands that ran from my hips to my toes making is difficult. Hoping for some gym time tomorrow.

So coffee - I drink a lot of it. I probably drink 3 cups a day. I love coffee. There is something about waking up and smelling that coffee in the morning and then pouring a nice hot cup on a cold morning. Not to mention that it also wakes me up. I'm usually a zombie in the mornings and can't put a sentence together until I have a cup. I use a little zero fat creamer and Truvia for sweetner (it's natural, don't worry). Recently coffee has gotten some good publicity having been sited for helping fend off Parkinson's disease, diabetes and even liver cancer if you can believe that. Mayo Clinic though recently published an article by Jennifer Nelson, M.S., R.D. and Katherine Zeratsky, R.D indicating that it might not be all that healthy. They even noted "A recent report in Mayo Clinic Proceedings that warns of potential harm, specifically increased risk of premature death for men under age 55 who drink more than 28 cups of coffee a week, or an average of 4 cups a day." Not gonna lie to ya but I definitely can hit 4 cups sometimes...Especially on the weekends if I'm just chilling out in the mornings. That info is a bit disappointing to hear. They do say that the research does not account for dietary or socioeconomic factors but does consider smoking, exercise and chronic diseases, such as high blood pressure and diabetes. The results show that heavier coffee drinkers are more likely to be smokers and to be less fit. I suppose that's true because I never see anyone running in the mornings with a cup of coffee in one hand (ouch!). I did see someone at 5am who had a Starbucks cup in the bottle tray on the treadmill they were running on. Totally strange to see that.

So I think the take away here as is with alcohol...Drink it in moderation. I've known for awhile that I should probably cut down on the number of cups I drink. Let the headaches begin.




Thought for the day: Need to stop being lazy and get back in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment