Wednesday, August 7, 2013

....And I Ran I Ran So Far Awayyyyyyyyy

DAY 10
Dog walk 45 min
Gym - 1 hour (30 minutes of interval sprints: walking at 4.0 for 2 minutes on a 2.0 incline and running at a 9.0 for 1 minute) The other half hour I lifted weights. Focus was on my back, shoulders, arms and core.

Man, I had some serious energy at the gym. Came out of nowhere but I welcomed it compared to yesterday. I'm allotted 26 points and I ended up only eating 22 yesterday. I'm not making that a habit. Sometimes I do that if my body is in a rut and I need to give it a jump start, but I really need to be eating my points and not going under. I was happy though that my need to munch and over eat seems to be diminishing. Today was a great day of staying on track and exercising.

So, let's talk about being 40 and over shall we. When I turned 40 I thought for sure I was going to notice my body doing an immediate downhill ski jump but it never came. I thought that being "over-the-hill" meant that I was destined to have some weird urge to go into debt and buy a Ferrari too but thank goodness that never came either. Now that I'm almost 43 I have started to notice some things. I've mentioned a few already so I won't bore you. There are certainly a huge host of issues that men over 40 face. Things like heart disease, cancer, unintentional injuries, stroke, diabetes, respiratory disease, and Alzheimer's disease. Then there is the fact that some of us when we hit 40 do go a little bonkers and show up after work with a brand new, cherry red convertible "Hi, honey, I'm home, don't you just love it?" Some of us feel the need to say "Hey guys, over here. I still got it." Alas, every age has a beauty of its own. That said, it's impossible for people between the ages of 40 and "pick a number" to act and have the performance of people who are in their 20s or 30s. Our brains don't work the same, things all of a sudden become harder. So, what now? If that's the case, then what do we do?

Flex - Something I've been doing a long time now (and admittedly I don't do it enough) is stretch. It works out the kinks it also encompasses building mobility and honing balance. Something I've noticed lately is I lose my balance sometimes. It's not bad or like I'm all of a sudden falling over but every so often it happens if I'm looking up or trying to do something. So, I need to work on that myself.

If it's not clear on my blog....Workout - Go to the Dr., get checked out and then find an exercise routine and stick with it. Split it up between stretching, cardio, strength and core.

Find your inner "Tony Stark" and "Bruce Wayne" and add super powered food to your diet. We're talking Broccoli, Blueberries, Bananas, Spinach, Sweet potatoes, Mushrooms, Salmon, Egg Whites, Whole Grains, Almonds, etc...here's a great list of 40 super powered foods. I should say too that when I was younger I hated all of that stuff. Nowadays I eat it not because it necessarily tastes awesome but because I know it's good. And for all that other stuff I do turn my nose up on I take a multi-vitamin. Check this website out for some great recipes www.skinnytaste.com

Get Mental - Take a break, smell the roses, read a book. You don't want to get a "Cold," get it???
"C" - Old (stole that from David Wilcox). I'm serious. Something I try to make happen in the fall (and generally it's late fall around early November) is head to the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have a spot up in dem der hills that I cherish. It's my personal retreat. It over looks the valley and the air is fresh. I go there to pray, spend time reading, journaling and if no one is around I yell. It feels good to just let it out.

Get a hobby - As I said a hobby is good. Focus on something you really enjoy. My Dad has taken up painting, I'm blogging and I also write my own music and my wife sings with me (she's way better than me). Sometimes we even get a gig here and there. It's fun. I'm no rock star but it's fun...playing guitar is like therapy for me (check out our page over to the right: "Falling Noble")

Get out of yourself - Focus on other people. No projects here, take care of yourself but maybe find someone to invest your life in, give yourself away a little bit. Your over 40...I'm betting you have a lot of experience you could share with someone younger than yourself. Find your inner Yoda.



So, that is a list of a few things I do that I find help me overcome my 40's...Actually let me re-state that. Not overcome, but "live" my 40's.

Selfie at Golds Gym


300+ Calories burned in 28+minutes
 
 
Sprints at 9.0 speed on the treadmill




The song I heard while I was sprinting (perfect timing)
Flock of Sea Gulls
 
 
See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment