Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How to stay on track when you're eating out

DAY 15
30 minute walk with Sasha
1 Hour in the gym (sprints and weights)

Man, I torched my muscles today. Gonna hurt tomorrow. It was like I could feel my muscles burning fat even an hour later after the workout. Good stuff.



This Thursday we're going to dinner to celebrate "a" birthday. We're headed to a great restaurant that I've been to before and the food is great and the place itself is really cool. This means I've got to enforce self control again as I did this past Sunday. Thankfully, Sunday was a "win" and it's encouraged me to feel like I can do it again. It's gotten me thinking though about "eating out". When I first started this blog I mentioned a former co-worker's hubby that had a heart attack. I later learned that he ate lunch out at a local sports bar almost daily. Overall, Americans consume an average of 300 calories a day more than we did in 1985. That's nuts! That's a lot of calories extra per day. Eating out is something we do though with family, friends, celebrations, etc...it's not bad and I'm certainly NOT going to be the jerk who doesn't go out because I'm on a "diet" and make everyone else feel weird or uncomfortable. It's life so I will go out from time to time, it just means I have to make good choices. Here are some strategies I picked up on Mens Health.
  • Skip the regular menu choices and piece together your own custom-made meal. The article mentions Chili's as a good place to do this but you'll never find me there. Sorry Chili's fans.
  • Getting a sub? Skip the oil - if not you will face a whopping 120 calories per half ounce, and there's no telling how much of it will end up on your lunch. Ouch!!
  • Feeling "impulsive" when you're driving down Broad Street or Midlo. Tnpk in Richmond? There's a reason for that. A study published last year in Psychological Science discovered that the mere sight of a fast-food sign can make you feel rushed, which can lead to impulsive decisions and poor nutritional choices. "Kaa-reepy"
  • Stick to basic dishes you know and love and you'll come out ahead almost every time. The longer and more embellished the name of the food, the more fat, sugar, and sodium it contains.
  • Mickey "D"s - I think we've all seen "Super Size Me" at this point. If you haven't you should. 'Nuff said.
  • Cut it in half. I've seen folks on Weight Watchers do this and they suggest it. It's a little odd but you can ask the waiter/waitress to bring out a to-go box when they serve you your food. Cut your servings in half and put part of it in the box and take it home. Voila!!! Lunch or dinner the next day.
  • Don't go hungry - Nutrition doesn't mean squat when you're starving. Your stomach will take over. Eat a healthy snack before you head out or instead of getting that beer or glass of wine ask for a glass of milk. My step-dad does that and it makes total sense. Milk will fill you up and help you not over eat.
  • Allow yourself one little treat: Stick to one “extra” item: enjoy an appetizer or dessert or a glass of wine, not all three though.
A place I love to go is Panera Bread. The food is great and they list calories on their menu so you can make a healthy choice for yourself. Another good one is Jason's Deli and they offer vegetarian and gluten sensitive menus. They have a pretty good salad bar too. Those kinds of places work for me though because I'm a sucker for a really tasty sandwich. You'll have to figure out what works for you.

Here is another good site for "eating out" tips: Eatingwell.com - Strategies for Savvy Ordering in a Restaurant

 

 See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment