Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cycling + Fish + Disco = Healthy

DAY 16
Dog Walk 45 minutes
Bike Ride - 1 hour / 10.88 miles per Map my run

Wow, what an amazing day. The weather was great and it reminded me of Autumn. I couldn't get hiking out of my mind. This past winter I was definitely looking forward to summer. I think I spent most of the winter complaining about the bitter cold (ask my wife). The cold around here this past winter was just down right bone chilling cold and by late November I was ready for Summer. Now, I'm really looking forward to Fall. It's my favorite time of year and I really enjoy being in the mountains during that time.

Crabtree Falls with my wife


So, today I decided to switch it up a bit and go on a bike ride during lunch. It was great! I road over 10 miles in an hour. Not a lot but my thighs sure did think it was. With the ride and the weather I just felt energized today. I road from where I live (the near West End of Richmond) down to VCU and back. There were times when it felt like I was in that old 80's movie with Kevin Bacon. I think it was called Quicksilver? I do enjoy cycling and there are health benefits to it as well. Cycling is a good way not only to lose weight but it's useful in maintaining your weight as well. It's good for decreasing the risk of coronary heart disease and it’s also a great low-impact mode of exercise for those with joint conditions or injuries to the legs or hips, which might keep them from being active.

 
I came across an article today that indicated eating fish can cut your risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis by Half. Here's the article:http://www.everydayhealth.com

Eat More Fish



Thought for the day: This is completely unrelated to health & fitness but super appropriate for anyone that spent their early years in the 70's like me (also spending time watching their parents take disco lessons at the local high school). I think we need to campaign for that band Maroon 5 to cover all of the Bee Gee's songs from the movie Saturday Night Fever.



Wait! You can burn calories by dancing so this is completely related to health and fitness.

1 comment: