Thursday, August 8, 2013

No Workout Tips

DAY 11
Walked the Dog for 30 minutes (it was humid & she could only take but so much)

Ok, another "Long-Haul" day. Second day this week with no gym or run because of an appointment that I had to take during my lunch hour. I would have liked to have gotten up early and to put in my time but honestly I just can not do early mornings anymore. I'm a zombie lately in the mornings and really can't put words together until I've had a least two cups of java. I used to take pride in my 4:30am get up and go attitude but that was about a year ago + and for some reason I just can't seem to make it happen anymore. I don't want to blame it on age. That would be too easy and there are plenty of folks over the age of 40 who get up and make it happen. I used to be a morning person and that has changed all of a sudden. My focus today has been food. No extra points today so I had to stay within my 26. Hard to do when there are ribs cooking in the crock pot all day long and it's all I smell during the day. I almost gave in but chose not to since I was able to treat myself to a brownie last night. In addition to the gym yesterday we went to the pool after dinner so I gained about another 3 points. I literally had gained half of my daily points in extra points due to my work out and the pool and my morning walk with Sasha. So, I did not dip into the "Cheetos" this afternoon since I enjoyed that brownie last night.

Something I've started doing especially when I don't get a real work-out in during the day is push-ups and I had forgotten that I had some exercise bands that I purchased wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day. This way I get in some strength work.

Here are some tips I've been using if I can't get a workout in:
  • On a conference call (and you can close your door) - Do squats. Stand with your feet wider apart than your hips, toes facing forward, push your hips back to shift your body weight on your heels instead of your toes. Lean forward 45 degrees as you lower your hips to knee level. Keep your abs tight, wiggle your toes--your weight should be on your heels. Keep your knees above your ankles. Then as you come up, squeeze your butt to stand.

  • Can't look at the computer for another second: Try this: sit up straight in your chair and extend your right leg forward. Lift it off the chair and hold for 10 seconds, then relax. Makes the muscles in your upper leg start to shake like Elvis? Do the same thing with the other leg.

  • Remember elementary school? Again, if you're on a call and no one is around, get out of your chair,  lean with your back against your wall, bend your legs as if you were sitting in a chair. Push your butt against the wall and make sure your legs and knees are together. If you want to get really crazy, extend one leg straight out. Trust me, you will feel the burn on this one.
Thought for the day: I feel better. I really do. I'm tired but I know I'll turn a corner here soon. It's the exercise and I'm not used to that. My head feels clear (endorphins) and I don't feel "as stressed" as I typically have lately. I've been able to shrug stuff off more easily. I "feel" healthy too and, yes, it feels good to put that pair of khaki's on today that haven't really fit well for awhile and today they felt good. Saturday is in two days, it's weigh in and having dropped 3 lbs in one week last week I'm eager to see what I've lost this week but I'm preparing myself not see that kind of drop again. If anything, I'm preparing my head to see that I might have actually gained a pound. It's possible, with the working out I've been doing. I'm hoping to see that I've shed a pound. That would be a healthy weight loss and it's my goal. I'm free tomorrow so I can get a run or work out in.

See you tomorrow!

Watching my points today


Saw this on my run earlier in the week. It's on their driveway...

3 comments:

  1. Link to Theraband exercise website:
    http://www.hygenicblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Gordon! good for you for focusing on your health! i know the WW/calorie counting/weighing works for you...I wonder if you would ever consider a Paleo/primal style of eating.
    1 – eating whole foods that provide optimal, nutrient-dense fuel for your body and
    2 – avoiding processed, refined, nutrient-poor factory foods.
    This means avoiding grains, legumes (beans), refined sugar, and pasteurized dairy products.
    I personally don't have a problem with dairy, and eat it here and there. I don't, however, drink milk, nor does my family. Almond milk for me, and if we have to, organic whole milk only.
    This approach is great because it's such a relief not to weight, measure and count everything. I don't worry about calories because the source of the calories is way more important than a number. 100 calories of donut is not the same as 100 calories of chicken breast!
    I also do NOT weigh myself and go by how my clothes fit, and how I look/feel/perform, and make adjustments as needed.
    Keep your focus on the weights - that will get you results faster than any cardio (and chronic cardio is actually detrimental). If you are doing to cardio, try using HIIT or interval training - gives as much or more benefit than steady-state cardio.
    If you're interested I can point you towards lots of books/websites/recipes. If not, I'm still rooting for you!!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mandy, I've thought about that diet. I've heard good things. I'm going to keep this up for awhile. It's worked before and it seems to be working again plus I'm just making my lifestyle more active. Thanks for comment!!!

    ReplyDelete