Saturday, August 10, 2013

Mind of Matter and Muscle versus Fat OR To Fall of the Cliff or Not

DAY 12
Dog Walk - 45 minutes
Rolling up a Cow fence with "F.I.L."


Ok - It happened. I gained a pound and a half. Of course I was really shooting for 163 this morning so I was a little disappointed. That's ok though. I will not allow this to lead to an avalanche. I'm now coming into my 3rd week of eating better and I've added a lot of exercise to my daily routine which had been a lot more...should I say "couchy"? I've also added weights so I'm willing to bet it was the weights that added that pound and a half not the "Fro Yo" from a couple of nights ago. Here's the other thing, I'm not going to let this get me down because I'm on the right track.

"Christopher Scott, Ph.D., an exercise physiologist at the University of Southern Maine, began using an advanced method to estimate energy expenditure during exercise, his data indicated that weight training burns more calories than originally thought—up to 71 percent more." (menshealth.com-weight-training-accelerate-weight-loss). The other side to this is; as you burn the fat via weight training you will add muscle. Muscle does not weigh more than fat, but it does add volume. William R. Sukala, MS, CS noted in an article on the Weight Watchers website that "because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories." He also indicates that even if you have a small amount of weight to lose, you might see the number tick up on the scale. He notes "This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat." So, what he's saying here is: don't freak out if the scale isn't budging, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit." (read the full article here: Does muscle weigh more than fat?)

The other thing is this: pounds you loose in the first few weeks of losing weight are generally made up of about half water, so after that point, people are often fooled into thinking they are reaching a plateau or not losing any weight. What's really occurring is that your body is approaching a normal/slower rate of weight loss. (Click here for the full article:Powering through plateaus)

So, today I'm not going to be in they gym or out on a run but, I will be baking in the sun with my wife and Father-in-Law rolling up an old cow fence....that's right, I said rolling up a cow fence. 4 hours worth. I'm bound to shed some pounds today. Thank you "F.I.L" (that's funny).

Week 2 completed:


No comments:

Post a Comment