Monday, August 5, 2013

MONDAY, MONDAY, MONDAY...

DAY 8
30 min Dog Walk
4 Mile Run
Push-up's during the day

This morning I really wanted to over eat at breakfast. I don't know where it came from. The sensation just snuck up on me out of no where while I was pouring my 3/4 cup of cereal. My brain said "FILL THE BOWL UP!" I ate my yogurt (I'm experimenting with Kroger Lite Greek Vanilla Yogurt. It's an extra point but it's higher in protein than Kroger Lite Yogurt so it filled me up...not too bad.), cereal and fruit, waited an hour then had my bagel with PB2 and I was fine.

The weather was awesome today. Not too hot, low humidity and sunny. Great day for a run. It was a grind but I pushed through. For transparency sake I did walk a bit but I did run most of the way. The rest day yesterday helped. I just felt rested and energetic & I was actually looking forward to the run. That's good news. Habits are beginning to form!

This blog is about being over 40 and staying healthy and fit. Look, it doesn't matter if you're a Marathoner, 10K junkie or kickboxer -- sooner or later, age will have an effect on your body. It's just the way of life and you can't stop it from happening. The good news is that while I was on my run a guy who looked maybe 8-10 years older than me passed me. He was fit and running hard. I thought "Ok, that's what I'm shooting for." Then I noticed my pace had quickened.

I'm not a Dr. but here are some helpful tips I pulled from WebMD  Fit and 40+

Some important tips from the article:
  • Know when it's time to make a change. Stay in tune with what your joints and muscles are telling you when you work out, Cluff advises. "Notice how it feels at 40. Then, when you get to 42 or 43, does it change? Be aware of the signals that your body is giving."
  • Modify moves that cause discomfort. "Take those heavy, percussive movements and find a detour," Cluff says. "Instead of running, hike. Instead of running three miles, walk five. Walk faster, on a spongy asphalt trail."
  • If you haven't been weight training, get started. Strength training not only preserves and increases muscle mass and bone density, says Evans, it boosts your metabolic rate so you can burn more calories.
  • Warm up and stretch. Be sure to warm up before a workout and stretch afterward, to reduce the risk of injury, Evans says. Adding stretching to your workouts will help counter the tightening of the body that comes with age.
  • Make proper form a priority. Evans' philosophy is to take 2 seconds to lift a weight and 5-6 seconds to lower it. "Put more emphasis on the lowering phase because that's the part that stimulates muscle growth," he says.
  • Seek experts' help. If possible, hire a fitness trainer to create a program for you and demonstrate proper form and control. If you belong to a health club, take advantage of the services it offers. Many clubs offer a free walk-through with a trainer to help you learn to use the equipment.
  • "Snack" on fitness. Look for ways to fit in fitness whenever and wherever you can. Standing in line or waiting for the elevator are great opportunities to perform "fitness snacks," like drawing the navel to the spine, sliding the shoulders down the back, and trying to balance on one foot, Cluff says.
I've never been much of a weight lifting kind of guy but weights are definitely on the schedule now at least twice a week and I'm trying to squeeze in push-ups during the day between calls, work stuff, etc...I mean there so simple to do. Just DROP and give yourself 20!

Pics from the Run today:

I have a love/hate relationship with Patterson Ave. It's all uphill with 1 or 2 plateaus. At this point I'm coming into mile 3.

 
Cool little house For Rent on Maple Ave. if you're in the market
 
 
And of course a "selfie"? That's what my 12 year old told me it's called now when you post pics of yourself.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment