Saturday, August 17, 2013

Eat to Live

DAY 18
"Weigh In"
 


YES! Lost a pound. Last week I got stuck at 165.5. I really think the weight lifting is paying off. I even ate out this week and still lost a pound. I hit my goals as well. I've been at this now for 4 weeks, (headed into my 5th week) and I've basically lost a pound a week which is what I was shooting for. It's funny, I've been taking these (humiliating) pictures of myself at each weigh in so that I can visibly see the changes. That's been really encouraging. This past week I put the dress pants on that I purchased over a month ago (when I had to go up a size which motivated this long-haul living stuff) and they were definitely looser around the waist. "Sigh"...this means I might have to buy more pants when I've hit my goal.


This upcoming week is going to be really busy. I'm slammed at work right now and I have a lot of appointments this week which will cost me my lunch time work out. This of course means I will have to get up "early" in order to put my time in and get some exercise. Rest day is tomorrow so I need to really think about eating tomorrow. I have found by keeping my food journal (which is how I track my points) that I am very much a creature of routine and habit. I pretty much eat the same stuff every day. Now, that's not just been in the past month. I've been "inconsistently" keeping the journal for a long, long time and I really do eat the same thing almost every day. It's yogurt, cereal and fruit in the morning and toast with PB2. For lunch it's always a turkey sandwich, lettuce, tomato and cucumbers with red grapes (replacing chips) for lunch and then dinner is where I pretty much have variety. I'm not much of a cook so my wife does all of the cooking. Dinners at my house are fabulous. She's a great cook and she always has a healthy dinner planned.

Food tip: So, we eat a lot of fruit. Summer time means fresh blueberries, mangos, strawberries, peaches, raspberries, etc...we've been experiencing pesky little nats lately. My wife has a trick for that. I call it the Vinegar Trap. Fill a vase with apple cider vinegar then take paper and roll it so it's sort of shaped like a cone. Stick it in the vase. The nats are attracted to the vinegar and the cone provides a little trap. Somehow they go in but they can't figure out how to get back out.



Thought for the day: Eat to live. As I was thinking about my food journal I realized that I'm changing the way I view food. It feeds my body so that I can stay in good health. It's not a crutch nor is it something to abuse. I'm no longer stuffing my face because I'm bored. I used to hate veggies; now I love veggies.  My body is telling me it’s good for me and now I look forward to and enjoy better food.

1 comment: