Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cha, Cha, Cha Chia!

DAY 9
30 minute walk with the Dog
 
Ugggggg. Today was rough. Crazy storms last night kept me up plus I had a terrible dream so I'm feeling tired. I also stayed up till 10pm watching 24. Today was definitely a Long-Haul Tuesday. No lunch time runs today and I was feeling a little "BLAH". I  had to take my daughter to a dentist appt. which means I had to use that time to do that. The plan was originally to get up a little early and hit the gym before everyone else got up this morning. Well, due to the storms and the rain (which we all know I dislike) I hit the snooze button. So, admittedly my tank is not very full on motivation today. That's hard because without the exercise today I'm stuck at 26 points for meals on the WW plan so I'm going to have to really push through with eating well. Oh well that's life right? That's why this is "Long-Haul" living.
 
So, here's a secret that I've recently come across thanks to my step-father. Remember those CHIA pet commercials? The weird grassy, fury looking figurines.
 
 
Yea, me too. Weird thing to have as a hobby. That said, it's not that weird to eat the Chia seeds. That's right you can eat Chia. You will not grow a Chia head or a Chia cow in your stomach but it will definitely fill you up. Supposedly with water the seeds expand in your stomach creating the sensation that you are full. Obviously you don't just chug a handful of seeds (or you will spend the rest of the day in the bathroom). Add it to your yogurt, protein shake, cereal, water to create a gel, etc...that kind of stuff. When you put it in yogurt it changes the consistency of the yogurt to almost a pudding like substance. It's filling. The jury is still out on the effects Chia has on weight loss, but I do fill "fuller" when I add chia to my cereal and yogurt combo and it does seem to help me with food cravings later on. Here are some health facts on Chia from WebMD.
 
  • Chia seeds are a concentrated food containing healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium
  • Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds).
  • One ounce (about 2 tablespoons) contains 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, plus vitamins and minerals.
(Personally I would not recommend 2 tablespoons of the stuff. Not to be gross but it will clean you out. It's a lot of fiber.  I usually use about 1 teaspoon at the most.)
 
WebMD does caution that if you have food allergies (especially to sesame or mustard seeds) or are on high blood pressure medications or blood thinners, you should ask your health care provider before adding chia to your diet. You really should check with your Doctor before you really change up your diet or begin an intense round of exercising. You never know what's lurking under your skin so be careful.
 
 
You can also buy Chia  "seeds" locally here in Richmond at Good Foods Grocery. Check them out here: http://www.goodfoodsgrocery.com/
Oh, and if you want a Chia Pet go here: http://www.chiapet.com/
 
Lunch for 3 points


Dinner - Taco Salad for 5 points
 
 
 
 Tomorrow I run (shout out to my brotha for the picture)
 
 
My editor hard at work (because I can't spell)

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Did you say Good Foods Grocery??? I hear that's a great place for natural foods.

    ReplyDelete