Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bees & Exit Strategies

DAY 19
Walked the dog...in the rain

I gotta tell ya, (violin begins playing a long, drawn out note here) I'm not really feeling the blog today. Yesterday my exercise for the day was mowing the lawn. Front yard done. Backyard, mostly done until (cello begins here) I ran over a hole in the ground that was being used as housing for a swarm of wasps. They (add drums) were not happy when the spinning blade of death ran over the hole. 1.) ouch...what was that! 2.) Ouch...what the? 3.) Oh my gosh! 4.) Smacking the back of my head...ouch! 5.) yelling, jumping up & down 6.) and so on and so on and so on as I ran to the back door loudly yelling words I will not repeat on this blog. My daughter was standing in the kitchen thinking that the blade had carved my foot off or something. After "The Incident" I counted 15 stings on both legs from the knees to both my ankles. I'm fine. My throat never closed up and there was no drama but I am taking Zyrtec, Benedryl and I'm putting Benedryl cream on my stings. I'm a little drowsy today and itchy. Plus it's raining and I don't like that.


Today was my rest day so I had zero exercise which meant no extra points to enjoy during the day. It's been hard. For some reason last night I just wanted to eat. I wasn't starving. I just wanted to eat. Today was the same. When I'm bored especially on a rainy day like today I just want to sit around and eat. Thankfully my daughter and I got out of the house for a few hours which got me away from the pantry, but once we returned the urge to eat returned. I ate two natural strawberry and blueberry popsicles (which are awesome by the way) and they're only a point each on the "old school plan." This got me thinking about how once I hit my goal I'll be in maintenance mode, keeping the weight off and continuing on the path to good, healthy living. When you're in "diet" mode you're fighting a battle and you're motivated. Once the mission is completed you move into peace time. Things are great but without the "diet" motivating you, it's easy to lose focus and then before you know it you've gained a few extra pounds or for some people they end up right back where they were.

When armies go to war they also typically have an exit strategy to use once the war is won about how to maintain peace and order. So, I think I need an exit strategy. One that moves me off of the "diet" platform and into a maintenance platform. Going from one diet to another or dieting once a year (or every 6 months) will create fatigue and laziness will creep in. I need to begin thinking about this diet not as only reaching my goal weight but as a path to creating a new normal. If at some point I'm starving after lunch then that means I probably need to consider what is going into my lunch. This is cold war stuff - what's sabotaging my peace time? Probably need to make sure I'm busy too. That is one thing I do know about myself. When I'm bored I eat. This blog is great especially when I'm bored. I can write about not over eating...HA!!

So - the new normal. An exit strategy is what I need to think about as I'm on this path. Here's a hand full of ideas that I found on this site http://beta.active.com:

  • Weigh in regularly
  • Eat the same number of meals a day
  • Drink lots of water
  • Include fruits, vegetables, and/or lean protein in every meal
  • Follow a consistent exercise routine
Stay active and have fun like everyone did last night during the Anthem Moonlight ride.



 
Thought for the day: Its really tough to solve a weight issue without addressing the drivers underneath. Prepare for the Long-Haul.


1 comment: